Thursday, September 27, 2012

Caught in a Web of Good Books


I hate changing bulletin boards!! In my opinion it is the worst part of teaching. At my school, we have to change our hallway bulletin boards by the last day of the month, so I have been thinking about what I could put on mine all week. I didn't really have any products planned for this week that would look good on the board so I had no idea of what I would do.

Well, that was until last night. I was scrolling through the pins on pinterest and saw a picture of a bulletin board with a spider web and spiders that read, "Tangled up in the webs of books!" (I didn't pin it so I don't have the website to link to it.) This board was for a school library. I liked the concept, but I still had to think of some kind of work that I could put on the board.

When I walked into my room today, I saw my wall that read, "Book Recommendations". (I haven't had the chance to start using this board yet.) But when I saw it I came up with an idea. Earlier this school year, someone created a post that showed pictures of their students peering over the cover of a book. They had created a book jacket of their favorite books. (Once again, I don't have the link to share.) I knew that I could combine the two ideas.

So during writing today, I had my students write a brief summary/description of a book that they have read this year; similar to what you would find on the back of a book. They also added a statement explaining why they would recommend this book. After they finished writing, I did a quick edit. I don't usually do that, but unfortunately there isn't enough time for them to peer edit. Tomorrow they complete the book jacket.

Here is the example that I made.



Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac is one of my favorite books. I use it for a read aloud every October. I will be starting next week. My students always love it and usually talk about it for the rest of the year.

Here is the bulletin board with just my book on it. Work in progress.



I did one so I can show my students an example. I will be adding the student products tomorrow as they finish them. I will take mine off the board in the morning.

Here is a close up of the title of the board.




We are required to include the Common Core State Standard on anything we place in the hallway. Here are the ones that connect to this activity.


Here is the final board from 2 different views.





Here are a few close ups of the student work.






My scholars loved this activity. I think I will make it a work on writing choice.


How do you feel about bulletin boards? How often are you required to change yours? What is currently on your bulletin board?

2 comments:

  1. My Open House is Thursday and I am having my kids do the exact same project to place on my bulletin board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. SIOP Feature 17 Use Group Configurations that support language and content objectives

    ReplyDelete