Thursday, September 13, 2012

Voki

Have you ever used a Voki? I love them. This amazing web tool is basically an online avatar that can be used in various ways in the classroom. I first learned about Voki a few years ago, but I haven't used it very often. One of my goals this year is to use more technology in the classroom and provide more opportunities for my students to use it as well. I figured Voki was a good place to start.

I know my students many of my students have used Voki in the past, but some haven't so I think this will be a great way to get them used to using a web tool.

Here is my plan: I have found that my students are struggling with following oral instructions which is crucial if they are going to be successful this school year, so instead of writing their morning insructions on the board in the morning, I will write a message telling them to play the Voki when they come in. They can push play on the Smartboard as many times as necessary. And I won't have to give the instructions.

Here is the Voki I created for tomorrow.

Later in the day, I will show students how to create a Voki. It is super simple! Kids love the fact that they can create their own characters. Luckily, my class goes to computer lab on Fridays, so when they go to the lab they will create their own Voki giving directions for the class to do something. Next week, we will play their Vokis periodically and see if the class can follow the directions perfectly on the first try. I think we will keep track and I will award points toward a class reward. This activity will kill two birds with one stone. We will practice following directions and they will get experience with using Vokis. I think my students will love it!! Check out voki.com for more information.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, how did I not know about this before?! Thanks for sharing, will definitely be using Voki in my classroom now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can use this idea with your students. It can be used in so many ways.

      Delete
  2. I just create my classroom. I will try it on wenesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina!

    Great post on Voki! It would be great if you can do a blog post for the Voki blog! Please email me at ediep@oddcast.com if you are interested!

    Best,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. K12 Best Practices

    ReplyDelete