Sunday, August 5, 2012

B.E.A.R.S. Behavior Expectations

My school's mascot is the bear. About two years ago, we created school wide behavior expectations to go along with the letters in the word bears:
Be respectful
Eager to Learn
Always Ready
Responsible
Safe Students

Most teachers at my school introduce these but then create their own classroom rules/expectations. This year, I am going to use the BEARS. (Why recreate the wheel?). On the first day of school, my scholars will discuss how each of the five expectations should look in our classroom and then record their findings on the charts. Students will be held accountable for everything they decided to add to the chart. These posters will be laminated and displayed in the room.

Here are the charts. There is lots of space waiting to be filled in by my scholars.


I always have my scholars participate in creating our class expectations so that they can take ownership. By giving them the opportunity to interpret the expectations and write what each looks like will provide them with the opportunity to better understand each expectation.

I have a behavior chart that I fill out with each scholar at the end of each day. I will share that later.

How do you set up your classroom procedures?

No comments:

Post a Comment