Monday, August 27, 2012

I Survived!!

Today marked my 10th first day as a teacher and I survived. Time really flies. I can't believe that I've been out of college for almost 10 years.

No matter how many times I've done this, I never feel fully prepared and today was no different. I started feeling sick during open house on Friday and despite sleeping for almost 15 hours Saturday night/half the day Sunday and doing all I could to get rid of my cold, I still felt awful today. So my philosophy was "Fake it, til I make it." To be completely honest, I wasn't super excited about today, but I made it through, I survived.

Today was actually a pretty good day. It went really smoothly. I had actually over planned so there was no lapse in time. I did however lose track of time at the end of the day and had to rush my students to get packed up on time. But I am almost always running late so that wasn't too out of the ordinary.

The only downfall of the day was that I only had 14 of the 21 students on my roster show up. I work at a very transient school so missing 7 students on the first day is always possible. I would usually be happy about having only 14 but all of my teammates had at least 18 of their students show up which means that every new fifth grader that gets enrolled will be assigned to my room so I will be constantly reintroducing rules and procedures, which I hate. I will just have to see how the next few days go.

I'm feeling a little better tonight and hopefully I'll feel even better tomorrow. 1 day down, 179 to go.

How was your first day of school?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. SIOP Components

    ReplyDelete